(Last Updated 7/30/18. Will continue to be updated!)
Look at my skin. Look at the pattern of my acne. It took going on a skin diet to realize that though the acne around my jawline is hormonal (fluctuates with my medical problems) The acne in the contour of my cheek completely disappeared within a week or so of not wearing make up….
This past year I was diagnosed with a thyroid condition, and suddenly I noticed that I had become sensitive to things I haven’t been sensitive to! For me that was silicone… so I compiled a Silicone Free list for Foundation/Primers/Moisturizers. I started looking at the ingredient list of my blushes, bronzers, and contours and realized…
They can put Silicone into powders???
I’m not a chemist but I know that dimethicone (a common silicone that I’m very allergic/sensitive to) is more liquidy than powdery… so I wasn’t even looking for it in a powder product! But then again I know that oils can also be infused into powders… so I’m kinda mad at myself for not realizing this.
If you’re thinking….
“What’s wrong with silicones in make up products, Rica?”
You should know a little back story on what silicones do for make up. In short: helps things spread, blend, blurs pores, can be oil controlling… but clogs pores by creating a film over your skin.
So just like my Silicone free liquid products list… I decided to create a Silicone free list for powder products… Let’s Play!
Silicone Free List
Becca Mineral Blush “Flowerchild”
– I’ve never tried this formula, but it has high reviews. Value on amazon is better than on Sephora or Ulta right now so get it where it’s cheaper!
ELF Cosmetics blush “Tickled pink”
– Elf blushes are super pigmented… and you can have a blending mess if you don’t tap off your brush. But this is by far the most affordable option. Careful! Not all elf blushes are silicone free but the single pan blushes tend to be
Flower Beauty Flower Pots Powder Blush “Peach Primrose”
– Another option from the drugstore from Drew Barrymore’s brand. I haven’t tried it yet, but have heard great things about it!
Mattify Cosmetics Blush in Strawberry Wine
– This brand is free of irritants (Talc, Pearl Powder, Silicoone, Sulfates, Parabens, Bismuth Oxychloride) I was given samples from this brand and I LOVE their blush. It’s a loose powder and very pigmented. It’s super affordable and it never breaks me out this shade in particular is a beautiful natural shade that I wear to work often.
Tarte Amazonian Clay 12 Hour Blush
– A beautiful long lasting formula that doesn’t break me out and blends well.
Ulta Mineral Blush
Viseart Blush Palette
– I usually don’t worry about price but… holy expensive. Sitting at $80 for 6 shades… I can’t bring myself to spend that much on blush
– Other: Talc 1st ingredient, Lauroyl Lysine 9th (and last) ingredient
Contours & Bronzers
BareMinerals Faux Tan All Over Face Color
Buxom Hot Escapes Bronzer
Catrice Prime & Fine Contouring Duo Stick
– One of those dual ended sticks, contains Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil (8th ingredient) and Fragrance (14th ingredient)
Clinique True Bronze Pressed Powder Bronzer
Lancome Star Bronzer
Pacifica Sundreams Lotus Infused Bronzer Duo
– Other: Lauroyl Lysine (Coconut source)…. does that make it less irritating or something? haha
Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Matte Bronzer
– Many of the other Too Faced Powders are also Silicone Free. This powder comes in different shades and blends beautifully. It also smells like chocolate! Yummy!
– Other: Talc 1st ingredient, Fragrance 12th ingredient
Anastasia Beverly Hills Amrezy Highlighter
– Youtubers are going bananas about this highlighters… I haven’t decided to invest in this yet because I’m still using the eye highlight in the Too Faced Chocolate Bar palette all over my face… but I think I need this soon.
Artist Couture Diamond Glow Powder
– An interesting loose powder highlight with very minimal ingredients, interested to give it a try!
BareMinerals Crystalline Glow Bronzer & Highlighter Palette
– Bareminerals products (namely foundations) sometimes irritate my skin and I never know why. But I’m willing to give this shimmer trio a try!
Catrice Highlighting Powder
– Apparently a toned down highlighter for natural lovers. Contains Talc
Model’s Own Cheek Glaze Highlighting Palette
– A nice option from the drugstore. I’ve never tried this, but I have tried other face powders from Model’s own with good results
Laura Geller Baked Gelato Swirl Illuminator
– Oh so pretty… so high end… and its $26 for something that’s a little bigger than an eye shadow pan. It has great reviews and is a hyped product… but it wasn’t quite enough bling for me (I like a more impactful highlighter as a oilier skin type since i produce a natural glow)
Pacifica Ice Baby Mineral Highlighter
– Looks like a very pale highlighter.. not sure if it’ll work for my skin tone because that looks like paper white.
Smashbox & Vlada Petal Metal Highlighter
– A limited edition collab that has amazing packaging… I want ittt…
Winky Lux Powder Lights Highlighter
IT cosmetics Bye Bye breakout powder
– I’ve used the translucent shade because I heard the other colors are orangey. It has ingredients that my skin loves like sulfur, salicylic acid, and tumeric.
BareMinerals Matte Foundation
– Breaks me out… I think its the Lauroyl Lysine as the 1st ingredient
BareMinerals Original Foundation
– This doesn’t have Lauroyl Lysine… but also has horrible staying power on my oily skin… like 2 hours before I went to the bathroom at work and washed it off because it looked horrible.
Tarte Amazonian Clay Powder Foundation
– This product doesn’t break me out, but when it mixes with my oils it feels very heavy. The lasting powder is not the best, but it looks fantastic in my pores and I can set this with an oil-controlling setting powder (yes you can set a powder with a powder… oily girl problems)
ULTA Mineral powder foundation
– Contains: Bismuth Oxychloride, Methylparaben, Safflower Seed Oil. My new everyday foundation. I was a little scared about the ingredients, but I’m in love with the coverage when my skin is prepped well. Hasn’t broke me out yet! (Tip: Don’t cake it up around the pores or it will emphasize them!)
Products that have Silicone List
BareMinerals Blush “Golden Gate”
– Some places list this as a blush highlighter so it might have a sheen. Bareminerals products that have Lauroyl Lysine and talc break me out and this one doesn’t seem to have those ingredients, so I’ll give it a try!
Benefit “Hoola” Bronzer
– Dimethicone 6th ingredient
– Other: Talc 1st ingredient, Methylparaben 8th, Propylparaben 11th, Butylparaben 12th
NARS Blush “Orgasm”
– Dimethicone 5th ingredient
– Other: Talc 1st ingredient, Propylparaben 8th, Methylparaben 10th
Physician’s formula Murumuru Butter Blush
– Silicone: Dimethiconol Stearate 4th ingredient
– Other: Talc 1st ingredient, Fragrance 8th ingredient, Lauroyl Lysine 12th ingredient
Wet n Wild Color Icon Ombre Blush
– Dimethicone 2nd ingredient… many other Wet n Wild powders also have this common smoothing ingredient…
– Other: Talc 1st ingredient
Contours & Bronzers
Kat Von D Shade & Light Contour palette
– Dimethicone 3rd, 4th, or 5th ingredient: depends on the shade.
Wet n Wild Megaglo Contouring Palette
– Dimethicone 6th ingredient
– Other: Talc 1st ingredient, Lauroyl Lysine 11th ingredient
Make Up Revolution Triple Baked Highlighter “Goddess of Love”
– Dimethicone 3rd ingredient
– Other: Talc 2nd ingredient, methylparaben 7th ingredient
Maybelline Superstay Better Skin Powder Foundation
– Methicone 7th ingredient… I was super excited about trying this powder because it’s infused with salicylic acid which is great for acne!… but it broke out my super sensitive skin. Most people like this powder but if you have an established silicone sensitivity then stay away!
– Other: Talc 1st ingredient, Lauroyl Lysine 2nd ingredient
PSTT! Still having trouble with acne? Check out my other acne related posts!
******FULL DISCLOSURE: This are my personal experiences and thoughts. I am not being paid by the brand or the company to review this product or talk about any claims. This product was not sent to me. Links in this post are a part of the amazon affiliates program.*******